Friday, December 30, 2011

Getting Started

Okay, so here goes!  I am  starting this blog for myself, and I figure if anyone else wants to read it, it's just a bonus.

I am making a commitment to write something every day, even if only a few words, for the whole year of 2012.  At first I thought I'd just write in a notebook, or in Word, but then I thought, what the heck, I'll set it up as a blog.

Now for some personal sort of religious stuff:  I remember being 6 or 7 and lying in my bed making up a story, and I remember thinking that I liked to tell stories to God.  And I promised God that every story I made up was for him.

Years later . . . I have lots of story ideas, but they're all in my head.  I am out of work, and terrified about the future.  I wrote out some thoughts I had on the subject of hope.  I felt an odd compulsion to send my thoughts to the pastor of my church, and he asked permission to use it in his sermon.  After the service, I got serveral compliments on my writing, and I thought to myself, 'this is it.  This is what I need to be doing.'

And from that came the idea for the blog.  My intent is to write out my thoughts on what God is like, or things from the Bible that make me think.

But I also intend to post other things, like maybe a few very poorly drawn cartoons, based on the idea that a receptionist is like a ninja.  Or something I've heard called flash fiction, where I ask my friends for random words, and try to write a scene inspired by each word.

I plan to start the official stuff on 1-1-2012, but I'm going to put up some kind of random stuff in the meantime, so it doesn't look so bare.

If anyone does read this, feel free to make comments, and let me know which story (ies) you'd like to see more of, and I'll do my best to oblige.

At this point, I'm thinking of this less as a way to write a complete book, and more as a way of exploring ideas, and just building writing discipline.

Thanks and love y'all!

me

No comments:

Post a Comment