Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Year With God, Day 18 of 366

There is an old saying, "The Lord helps those that help themselves." I don't think that's actually in the Bible, though.

I have a tendency to procrastinate.  And lately, I've been thinking that things being so rough lately is because God wants me to rely on him.  But yesterday, my  husband told me to stop with the 'poor me stuff' and focus on what I can be doing instead of worrying over things I can't control.

The Bible does say, 'Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.' in Matthew 6:34.  And it talks about how God takes care of the sparrows, and are we not worth more than many sparrows? 

But the thing is, a sparrow doesn't just sit in the trees and wait for God to bring her breakfast lunch and dinner every day.  She is out searching for worms and seeds and bugs and whatever else sparrows eat.  God provides, but she has to do her part, too.

So I am thinking of things I can do to improve my situation--namely, finding work to support my family.  And I know some of the things I can do to try to find work.  I have been putting it off, because it's not the kind of work I would choose, and I am not sure if I'd be hired for it or not.  But that's not the point, is it?  The point is to go out and look.  I can then put it in God's hands that I will find the right job for me. 

There could be a perfect job for me waiting out there somewhere, and God wants me to have it, but I will never get it if I sit at home instead of going out to look for it.

And so, there it is.  Another goal, now put into writing, which makes it harder for me to ignore it.  I will make myself a to-do list and pray for the  . . . whatever the opposite of procrastination is, so that I will stick to it.

1 comment: