Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Year With God, Day 5 of 366

“In the absence of any other proof, the thumb alone would convince me of God’s existence.”
Sir Isaac Newton.

I have always been fascinated by this quote.  And the more I think about it, the more I realize it's true.  The thumb is a remarkable creation.  Just looking at my thumb and watching it move in response to my will, without my having to think about it . .  what a feat that is. 

So here are some more observations about the thumg:

The thumb is what separates us from the animals.  Opposable thumbs give us the ability to grip tools, which allows us to build things.

A person can be identified by his or her thumbprint.  Think about that, the imprint of maybe a square inch of skin, out of the entirity of someone's body is enough to identify him or her.

You can use your thumb to signal many things-- Approvale (thumbs up), Disappoval (thumbs down), the kill-it gesture (thumb across the throat), you can indicate direction, you can flag down a ride using only your thumb.  You can use your thumb to work the controls of a video game console, or an electric wheel chair.

God works miracles in big ways, but He also works in small ways, too.  As evidence, I give you-- the thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment