Friday, January 27, 2012

A Year With God, Day 27 of 366

What is woe?

Merriam Webster.com defines it as:  Used to describ grief, regret or distress.

I think woe is like depression, sort of a worn-down weariness and lack of hope.  Woe is the feeling you get when you think, 'This is it.  If things don't get better today, I'm done.'

In some translations of the Bible, it uses the phrase, 'Woe unto you.'  Usually said to those who knowingly sin against God--like teachers of the law who are more interested in building their own power, rather than educating the people.

Woe is not something that should be wished on someone lightly.  I think I have been feeling woe recently, and now I begin to see the light ahead.  And the lightening of the load makes me realize how burdened I have been feeling.

If you turn to God and rely on him, your woe will become hope again.

No comments:

Post a Comment