Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Year With God, Day 35 of 366, (belated)

Matthew 14:30-31

But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

I spent a great deal of time yesterday, sitting in a quiet room with someone who was ill.  And I discovered that when he was restless, if I took his hand, he calmed down.  We all need human contact, to let us know we're not alone, to help us not be afraid.

There is power in the human hand, and not just physical power.  I don't know how it works, I just know that it does.

And how much more power is there in the hand of God?  Jesus rebuked Peter for his lack of faith, but He still reached out and caught him.  Jesus caught him before he spoke.  Like a parent jerking a child out of the path of an incoming parent, Jesus then gave corrective instruction.

It's comforting to think that any time I am afraid, or frightened, or lonely, Jesus is there to take my hand and help me.  And He believes that I can do things I think are impossible.  Just as He knew that Peter could walk on the water with Him.  I think it was not just that Peter doubted Jesus.  I think Jesus was also rebuking Peter for not having faith in himself.

God is able to do more than we could ever hope or imagine.  And He is capable of doing so through me.  That's an awe-inspiring--and intimidating--thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment