Friday, February 17, 2012

A Year With God, Day 48 of 366

Isaiah 38:1

In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death.  The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, "This is what the Lord says:  Pur your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover."

A while ago, I saw a man at church.  I didn't know him well, but I liked him.  I asked, 'How are you?' in that casual way we do, not expecting anything more than 'Oh, fine' in response.

He said, 'Not too good.  I'm dying.  But I am ready to go." 

Those weren't his exact words, but that was the gist of it.  I was too shocked to remember it clearly.

The thing that struck me was that he was at peace about it.  He knew God was calling his name, and he was ready to go. And he spoke very eloquently about it, too.  It's something that will stay with me, even if I don't remember his words.

And now I wonder, how would I feel if I got the word, like Hezekiah?  'You are going to die, Susan, get your affairs in order.'

I'd like to think I'd use my time to say farewell to my family, and take care of my finances and such.  I'd like to think I wouldn't cry and argue and shake my fist at God, and blame him, and curse bitterly.

But I might.

But, no.  If ever I'm in that situation, I will remember the gentleman from church, and do my best to emulate his graceful acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment