Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Year With God, Day 49 of 366

Haggai 1: 2-4

This is what the Lord Almighty says: "These people say, 'The time has not yet come for the Lord's house to be built.'"
Then the word of the Lord came through the prophet Haggai:  "Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin?"

This passage could be used as a big condemnation of failure to tythe, or greed, but to me, the message is much simpler--Think about your priorities.

What do we put off?  And what do we take care of right away?  Do we work long hours, and give up seeing our families?  Do we spend time with one sick child, and perhaps neglect a healthy one?  Do we forego something we want, so we can get something special for a loved one?

I am coming out of a time of very tight finances.  It has been a constant thing to priorities the bills, and it's hard to decide what needs to be paid, and what can be put off.

But God is our shelter, our refuge in time of need.  It doesn't seem right that I be living well, while God's house is falling apart. 
Imagine if your parent has helped you out when you desperately needed it, and now you're back on your feet and doing well.   Your parent's house is neglected and falling apart.  Shouldn't you do what you can to help out?

I find myself convicted now.  I just started a new job, and I got paid yesterday.  I hadn't thought about giving to the church.  My instinct is to hold on to that money--tight!--because I need it, and I haven't had extra money for a long time.  But I know I need to give something back, so I will.  It won't be much, but the Lord will bless it.

No comments:

Post a Comment