Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Year With God, Day 50 of 366

Matthew 16:15
"But what about you?" he asked.  "Who do you say I am?"

The pastor mentioned this verse in passing during today's sermon.  And it stuck in my mind.

A funny thing about human beings, if we say something, we tend to believe.  I am thinking of how a person can control how she feels, just by choosing a word to define her emotions.

For instance, I am sitting at my computer right now, feeling a lot of vague things.  If I choose one word to describe how I feel, I might say, 'I'm lonely.'

And it's true.  My husband is at work, and I am missing him.  But the act of saying that I miss him, focuses my emotions on that, and it beomes my focus, because I had that conscious thought.

You can choose to be happy, at least at times.  I learned about it as part of a self-esteem course.  You control how you feel.  No one can 'make' you feel something.  You decide what you feel, and that act of deciding gives you power.

In that same way, we choose what we believe.  And saying what we believe is a powerful thing.  It makes our inner thoughts reality.

So, who do YOU say that Jesus is?

No comments:

Post a Comment