Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Year With God, Day 39 of 366

If you could be one of Jesus' disciples who would you be?

The most talked about is probably Peter.  A lot of people empathize with his impulsive nature.  The other disciples are not as well known.

If I had to choose, I'd have to say I'm most like Andrew.  Here is a bit from the story of how Jesus fed the five thousand.

John 6:8-9  Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, spoke up, "Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?"

I heard a sermon once about this passage, and it always stuck in my mind.  How did Andrew know about the boy's lunch?  Did he peak in the kid's lunch pail?  Or was he walking around asking if anyone had anything to eat?  Perhaps the boy approached Andrew and offered his meal.

There is not much here, but it's implied that Andrew did more than what is stated.  He may well have been asking if anyone had extra food.  In which case, he should be commended.  A little is better than nothing, and he brought what he found to Jesus, who was able to use it.

Or if the boy approached Andrew, then Andrew must have been willing to listen--even to a small boy.  In which case, he showed a heart for children much like Jesus' own, and he should be commended for being willing to listen.

There is just something about Verse 9 that reminds me of myself.  'I don't know what you can do with this, Lord, but here's what I have.'

That is how I feel about my gifts to God.  They are inadequate, but all I can do is hand them over, and trust that God knows what to do with them.  And God can do great things with my small gifts, just as he fed five thousand from that one boy's lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment