Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Year With God, Day 53 of 366

Ezekiel 1:1
In the thirtieth year, in the fourth month on the fifth day, while I was among the exiles by the Kebar River, the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.

What struck me when looking at this verse is that Ezekiel knew exactly when and where he saw the visions of God.  It was a clear thing, undeniable.  It wasn't vague, he didn't 'guesstimate' he knew to the day when it happened.

I wonder what it's like to have a vision that intense--so unforgettable.  It couldn't have been a comfortable thing.  I imagine a lot of people thought Ezekiel was weird, to say the least.

My encounters with God's word have been much more subtle.  I almost said I wished I could have a vision as intense as what Ezekiel experienced, but I'm not sure I'd really be comfortable with it.  I suppose I am too wishy-washy to handle it.

But still, I wonder what it felt like, to be the bearer of God's message to the people.  It must have been exhilerating, but I think it would be terrifying as well.

Nothing makes me feel more inadequate than being handed a task by someone who has complete faith in my ability to do more than I can imagine doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment