Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Year With God, Day 42 of 366, belated.

This blog was delayed because I have been under the weather, a hopefully rare occurence.

But this, combined with an article I read recently, got me to thinking about faith healing.  The article mentioned that a young man died of a treatable disease, because his family did not seek medical treatment because they believed in healing by faith, rather than by doctors.

I do my best to accept the beliefs of others, even when I do not agree with those beliefs.  But I will say this, I do not believe in refusing medical treatment on the grounds that God will heal me by my faith. 

It puts me in mind of that story about the man trapped  by rising waters.  A truck comes by, and the man refuses a ride because 'God will save me.'.  Then a boat comes by, and he gives the same response.  Then a helicopter, and he again refuses the ride.  He drowns, and asks God, 'Why didn't you save me?', to which God replies, 'I sent a truck, a boat and a helicopter.  What more do you want?'

If the story were told concerning a medical ailment, God might respond, 'I sent a school nurse, a paramedic and a doctor, what more do you want?'

I have also heard of times when a death is blamed on lack of faith.  How heartbreaking that must be for a family member to deal with--the accusation that their loved one didn't have enough faith to get better. 

I don't know why some people get sick and others don't.  I don't know why some sick people recover while others don't.  But I believe that God does nothing haphazardly or by chance.  So I believe that there is some reason behind it all, even if we do not yet understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment