Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Year With God, Day 64 of 366

Today, during church, I looked down at my hand and saw a mark on the palm of my right hand. 

About ten years ago, I sharpened a pencil to a very sharp point.  I was admiring how perfect the point was on that pencil and it flipped out of my fingers, and landed point-down in my palm.  I pulled the pencil out, but the lead broke off in my skin.  I dug it out, but I still have a very small blue-ish grey mark where the pencil landed.

It made me think today about how people will know about my faith.  It's not as easy as getting a tattoo or growing my hair long like the Levites used to do.  (I think it was the Levites).  A physical reminder might be a very good thing to help me remember what I need to be doing.  But unless I back it up with my actions, the physical sign is useless.  Like a WWJD bumper sticker on the back of a speeding car diving in and out of traffic and almost causing an accident.

So, what's inside is what's important, not what's visible to the casual observer.

Interestingly enough though, the pencil incident occured at my church.  Something for me to ponder, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment