Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Year With God, Day 67 of 366

2 Timothy 1:7

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

It occurred to me today that I spend a lot of time feeling afraid.  I fear financial loss.  I fear failure.  I fear that I will disappoint and disgust my loved ones.  Sometimes I'm afraid and I don't really know why.

But as I thought this, a fragment of 2 Timothy 1:7 came into my head, 'For I did not give you a spirit of fear .. . . '  So I look up the verse. 

God has given me a spirit of power.  That means that I can overcome my fears, with God's help.  God has given me a spirit of love-- God's love, and my love for Him, and those around me.  What better motivation to overcome fear than love?  And finally, God gives me a spirit of self-discipline, which is what it takes to keep trying, even when I 'know' I won't succeed. 

Self-discipline to write this blog, even when I am tired and can't think of a good topic, and I just don't feel like it. 

Self-discipline to tell myself that I can and will succeed, and to make myself believe it.

There is power in words.  If I look myself in the mirror, and say, 'Susan, you can do this!' then I start to feel like I can do it.  And if I write out a list of things to do, that gives me tangible goals to work toward.

I have spent a lot of time being afraid.  I don't want to feel afraid any more.  I want to feel power and love and self-discipline.

And I will, because I choose to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment