Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Year With God, Day 80 of 366

People impact our lives in unexpected ways.  There was a man I knew growing up, a farmer--or possibly a rancher.   I never held a conversation with him.  I'm not sure I ever heard him speak at all.

But he played an important part in my growing up.

My recollections of him are mainly of a white-haired man driving a tractor through a hayfield, or an old beat up truck down a rural country road.

He always knew the right time to cut the grass to make hay.  He always seemed to miss the rain that messed up other farmers' hay.  He drove the speed limit.  The only time I ever saw him dressed up was at my father's funeral.  He wore a white dress shirt, and looked very uncomfortable.  But I remember that, because it showed the respect he had for my father.  And I know my father had at least that much respect for him.

As long as I can remember, I thought of him as Mr. Toppings, sir.  I'd bet he thought no one noticed his quiet life, and that he didn't have much of an impact on the world around him.

But he had an impact on me.  When I think of Mr. Toppings, sir, I think of hard work, and a simple life that is more satisfying than city living and office work and high heeled shoes.

When I think of how the life of a Godly man should look, I think of Mr. Toppings, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment