Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Year With God, Day 90 of 366--belated

There have been people in my life that affected me in a profound way.  And it hasn't always been people I've known for years--though there are many of them as well.  Sometimes, all it takes is one moment-- a shared glance, an understanding smile.  I don't think of these people every day, but when something reminds me of that moment, I remember them.

I think of the old lady on the bus once, who gave me a bookmark with a prayer on it.  Or the checker at the grocery store where my sister used to go.  My sister would always go through her line, no matter how long it was.  I think of the time I got so angry at a family get-together that I had to take a long walk, and my cousin's high school friend said he knew that feeling.

I think of the time my roommate had to go the emergency room.  I drove her car over, and while waiting, I hear a lady moaning and crying.  She was so scared, and thought she was all alone, so I went over and held her hand for a while.  She was so thrilled, she asked me if I was an angel.  There is something very moving, and uncomfortable about being mistaken for an angel. 

I think of that moment, not so much with pride, but with the realization that being an 'angel' can require so little effort and mean so much to someone.  Most of the moments I remember like this are about 'angels' who touched my life, but that one time I know I touched someone else's life.

The point of this being that you can show God's love in a moment.  Most times, we do this with a long relationship, but sometimes, it can happen in the blink of an eye.  A smile at the right time can change my outlook for the whole day, so why couldn't my smile do the same for someone else?

I need to watch for opportunities like that, if they can be watched for.  These things are important.



The

No comments:

Post a Comment