Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Year With God, Day 117 of 366

This morning, I stepped out in the rain for a brief walk, and as I went, I had a strange realization.  I was thinking back to when I was a kid, with my four older sisters.  My mother would make a big breakfast with pancakes every Sunday morning.  And I remember one day looking at my mom as she was cooking, and seeing a strange look in her eyes.

Today, it occured to me that sometimes she resented us kids--and possibly my father.  She had been making pancakes for probably half an hour.  I imagine she was hungry, but all of us were mowing through the pancakes as fast as she could make them, and she finally just took one and gulped it down while she kept cooking.

I think it's natural to feel resentment at times like those.  And it's not something I saw on her face every week, so I don't think it was a constant thing.

But it just makes me hope we showed her how much we loved and appreciated all the things she did for us, and the sacrifices she made--big and small.

And now it occurs to me that when the Bible says that God is like a father, maybe it doesn't mean that He's a disciplinarian, or that He makes the rules (or not just that), but also that He makes sacrifices for our good. 

I always kind of knew that, but thinking about my mom today, it suddenly clicked in my mind.  I hope He knows how much I appreciate His sacrifices, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment