Friday, April 6, 2012

A Year With God, Day 97 of 366

There was a follow-up thought from last night's blog that I wanted to talk about tonight.  Now, what was it?

Oh, yes.  It's sort of the flip side of how hard it is to drop everything and follow Jesus.  And that is, that a lot of times, it's easier to be 'holy' when you're away from your regular life.  I've heard it referred to as the 'mountaintop experience.'

I think of how I moved to a town where I literally knew no one.  It was hard in a lot of ways, but I was able to define myself however I wanted to, and become the person I wanted to be.  (Or at least I had the potential to do so.  I'm sure I could have done better, if I'd put more thought into it.)

In the same way, it's easy to have faith and talk about following God when you're surrounded by people who feel the same way. 

But when you're back home, and it's Wheel of Fortune and Fox News instead of campfire Christian singalongs every night, and the mornings are filled with talk shows and water cooler gossip instead of devotions and inspirational speakers . . . well it's not so easy then.

I know it's hard to go and be a missionary and try to convert people who've never heard of the Bible, or those that are dead set against it.  But I think it can be even harder to do so in the normal life you've always lived.

And that's another thing I wish I could be doing better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment