Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Year With God, Day 96 of 366

Today, I truly felt that if Jesus walked by my apartment and said, 'Leave what you're doing and follow me.' I would have done it in a heartbeat.

I am not usually the impulsive sort.  I'd normally be thinking, what about my husband?  And I need to brush my hair before I go.  And  what about lunch?

But not today.  Today I would have gone gladly.  This is less a measure of my devotion to God as it is a measure of how tired and frustrated I was feeling.

But it did make me wonder about when Jesus called his disciples and told them they had to come immediately.  I don't entirely understand why.   Would it be so bad to wait while they sent a note home to their dad saying, 'Going with  Jesus. Not sure when we'll be home.  Love you.'? 

But then again, as I think my way through it, I remember that I am a procrastinator.  I would have written the note, and then thought I'd better say goodbye in person, and then I'd be at home, and I'd be washing dishes and vacuuming and baking something special to tide my parents over til I got back . . . and the long and short of it is, if I didn't go with Jesus immediately, I never would.

No comments:

Post a Comment